Department of Sociology
222, Department of Sociology, South Asian University,
Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi- 110021
- PhD in sociology from Jawaharlal Nehru University , in 2011
- M. Phil. (Dissertation Title: Ideas of Motherhood in Maithili Folksongs- A Psychoanalytical Study) in Sociology & Social Anthropology from Center for the Study of Social Systems, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi , in 2005
- M.A. in Sociology & Social Anthropology from Center for the Study of Social Systems, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi , in 2003
Awards & Honours
- BIARI- 2013 Fellowship at Brown University, Rhode Island, USA
- UGC-IIAS Associateship @ Indian Institute of Advance Studies, Simla
- Charles Wallace Fellow, 2015 @ Queen's University, Belfast, UK
- Bliss and Blase of Fun Voyages: A Polemic on the Underdeveloped Consciousness of Development, Journal of Development Management and Communication, 2(2), 2015.
- In Pursuit of the Spectacles of Success, History and Sociology of South Asia, 2015, 9(2) 126–145
- Mooting South Asia: Utopias and Possibilities beyond Geo-political Calculus, Sociological Bulletin, 64(2), 2015.
- Cultural Imagination of Human Development?: Framing Questions, Internaitonal Critical Thought, 2014, 4(4): 433-447
- Cinematic Imagination of Multiple Gandhi, Gandhi Marg, 2013, Vol. 35, No. 2, page: 231-245
- Marxiological Notes on the Perforated Sheet of Marxism, The Book Review, vol. XXXVII, no. 9, September 2013, page: 8-11
- Singing in the veil: Resistance, redefinition and reconciliation in the Maithili folksongs. In Bismoy Pati and Lata Singh Edited. 2013. Colonial and Contemporary Bihar and Jharkhand. Delhi: Primus
- Through Purdah: Social Criticism in Women’s folksongs from Mithila, SAARC Culture, Vol. 4, 2013, page: 19-39.
Nero's sublime flute recital: A teaser for teacher education in India, Mainstream , VOL XLIX, No 26, June 18, 2011.
- Timepass: Youth, Class, and the Politics of Waiting in India, Contemporary Sociology: A Journal of Reviews September 2011 40: 597-599
Experiment with Possibilities: A new genre in Teaching.. Contemporary Education Dialogue, vol.4 No.2 (2007), 285-288
Where to kill is the byword for growth . Mainstream , xlv: 19 ( August 28, 2007), 3-4
Bringing up the imaginative and emancipated learner. Mainstream , xliv:49 (Nov. 25, 2006), 21-22
- The reconstructed Normal: Representation of the Disabled in popular Cinema (forthcoming)
- Folklore & Performance, Popular Culture & Media (Cinema, Music, & Theater)
- Theoretical & Methodological Issues in Social sciences; Epistemology and Philosophy in Social Science
- Education (Schooling & Teaching), Youth and Resistance